- n. a signed document acknowledging a debt.
Etymology: = I owe you
* * *nounan informal debt instrument; representing `I owe you'
* * *\\|ī(ˌ)ō|yü\ noun (-s)Etymology: from the pronunciation of I owe you: a paper that has on it the letters IOU and a signature as an acknowledgment of debt, that names a sum of money, and that is sometimes used as the equivalent of a promissory note
* * *a written acknowledgment of a debt, esp. an informal one consisting only of the letters IOU, the sum owed, and the debtor's signature.Also, I.O.U.[1610-20; repr. I owe you]
* * *IOU /ī-ō-ūˈ/nounA signed slip of paper or other document acknowledging a debt (esp of money) to a specified person, stating the date and nature of the debtORIGIN: Pronunciation of I owe you
* * *a piece of paper that you sign to say that you owe someone an amount of money. The letters ‘IOU’ sound like the words ‘I owe you’.
* * *n. a signed document acknowledging a debtOrigin:late 18th cent.: representing the pronunciation of I owe you
* * */ˌaıˌoʊˈjuː/ noun, pl IOUs [count]informal : a usually written promise to pay a debt
I don't have any cash, so I'll have to give you an IOU.— often used figuratively
The governor has acquired some political IOUs over the years. [=other people owe the governor political favors]◇ IOU is from the pronunciation of the phrase “I owe you.”
* * *a written promise that you will pay sb the money you owe them (a way of writing ‘I owe you’)
an IOU for £100Word Origin:[IOU] late 18th cent.: representing the pronunciation of I owe you.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
IOU — noun [countable] informal something, usually a note, that you give to someone to show that you owe them a particular sum of money: • Commercial paper is a kind of corporate IOU. * * * IOU UK US /ˌaɪəʊˈjuː/ noun [C] INFORMAL ► ABBREVIATION … Financial and business terms
IOU — [ī΄ō΄yo͞o′] n. pl. IOU s [for I owe you] an informally written, signed acknowledgment of a specified debt, characteristically bearing the letters IOU … English World dictionary
IOU — may refer to:* IOU (debt), an acknowledgement of debt * I.O.U. (song), by jazz funk band Freeez * Investor owned utility * A song on the indie rock album Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? See also * IOYOU … Wikipedia
IOU — [ ,aı ou ju ] noun count INFORMAL a piece of paper that you sign to say that you owe someone an amount of money. The letters IOU sound like the words I owe you … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
IOU — oder I.O.U. ist: ein englischer Ausdruck für Schuldschein (phonetisch sind I O U und I owe you [dt. Ich schulde Ihnen] identisch) eine Abkürzung für die Internationale Olympiajollen Union, der Klassenvereinigung der olympischen Bootsklasse von… … Deutsch Wikipedia
IOU — a corrupted abbreviated form of the words I owe you . It is a written acknowledgement of a debt. It is not a negotiable instrument, like a cheque, but may be founded upon in court to make recovery of the sum more simple. Collins dictionary of law … Law dictionary
Iou — iou, eou, lheou nm lac Gascogne … Glossaire des noms topographiques en France
IOU — [ˌaı əu ˈju: US ou ] n informal [Date: 1700 1800; Origin: Representing I owe you] a note that you sign to say that you owe someone some money … Dictionary of contemporary English
IOU — (I owe you) â€šaÉªÉ™ÊŠ juË n. signed note acknowledging a debt … English contemporary dictionary
IOU — ► NOUN ▪ a signed document acknowledging a debt. ORIGIN representing the pronunciation of I owe you … English terms dictionary